Friday 28 July 2017

Light and Illumination.




What is it with sunsets? I do love the magical transitory times of a day, the times when the light changes, and as I am not a regular early riser, I especially love the transition between day and night. Dusk is a wonderful slowing down time, especially in the Summer when the spectacular sunsets can be enjoyed by the whole family on the beach.

Tankerton sunset.


The reflection of the setting sun in the sea is a natural gift if we choose to observe it and even more special is the feeling of swimming in the sea, eyes closed, heading towards the warmth of the setting sun. A treasured memory indeed in the depths of any cold, grey winter!

The path up to the sky.

A few weeks ago we had a log burner installed in the living room of our home and I surprise myself by now looking forward to the darker evenings and the increasing chill of the next season. We needed to make a hearth to put the burner on so we laid some concrete and I have been busy playing with the surface. I collected some beautiful leaves from the garden and used them to imprint their delicate undersides and overall form into the damp concrete. The result is a very personalised hearth that hold precious memories now of an abundant summer. The leaves I chose were Honesty, Passion fruit, Grape and Hop. Not only are their leaf forms very beautiful but they are also imbued with another layer of symbolism that could be the start of an interesting tale or two on a long dark winters evening.

Laying the leaves in wet concrete.


I enjoy observing the way that the light changes due to the season or the time of day. Recently whilst walking along the coast the sun was very low, about to set but had seemed to shoot out its last rays along the surface of the water towards the shore and it lit up the yellow Horned Poppy in a way I hadn't anticipated. It glowed! Luckily I had remembered to take my mobile phone with me and the camera on that is great for recording such sights. It's not the best, I also have a small digital Olympus and a larger digital SLR Cannon, but the mobile always allows me to capture any moment, to record it so that I can revisit that feeling of discovery and joy another time. It helps with my artwork too, I can revisit that time and place and refresh my memory if I am struggling to obtain the variation of colours needed in a piece.

Sunset glow.

This week I have been collating all my past blog posts so I could pass them onto a friend who will help me edit my book. It's been a long time coming but I am keen now get it out there. Re-reading the blog posts has been very interesting, seeing how each season often inspires walks, reflections and illumination. Themes seem to come up year after year and it is encouraging to know how much in tune we are with nature if we are able to get out regularly and walk amongst it.


Yellow beauty.


I came across a really nice article via a Facebook group that I follow called Treesisters, there is a link to it here. The article looks at 3 ways to connect to nature, one is to create a 'sit-spot' where you go regularly and observe the natural world around you and another is to go on a walking quest, a practice where you walk alone for 2-6 hours.


Walking with others is a joy too.


Personally I find even a daily 15 minute walk can bring great awards such as peace of mind if you allow yourself to be immersed in the very act of walking. This can be achieved both in a busy city and in the countryside. It is the act of giving yourself permission to just be, to walk and to observe without judgement. Perhaps this is why sunset walks are so attractive and satisfying. I for one, cannot help but be affected by the phenomenon of a setting sun. It quite simply 'fills you up' and when the experience is shared with loved ones it is truly wonderful.


A well worn path towards the sunset.

I will be opening the doors of my beautiful straw bale studio once again this year to exhibit my own and Alison Lees work as part of the Canterbury Festival, the theme is still 'The Spirit of Place' as it is an ongoing art project based in Kent.


Sunset and bubbles, could it get any better?!


You can keep up to date with our explorations and discoveries by looking at www.facebook.com/EastKentSpiritOfPlace

Open times are 11-5 daily on the weekends from 14-29th of October. We can be found at house number 25 on the Whitstable trail. Please see the webpage www.ekoh.org.uk for more information.

 I can be contacted on 07432679164 or clare@people-to-place.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment