Friday 6 April 2018

Holding Creative Space for Others.





I love to offer my studio to others to work in. It is an unusual and beautiful hand crafted building which evolved as a direct need for me to have my own space. This desperate need (I had two young sons) supplemented with a lifetimes worth of creative space building for others and a deep interest in sustainable architecture and community engagement produced a wonderful retreat which only now I feel I really 'own'. I recently read about Jo Fairley's shed love for her shed too, you can read it here.

The path we made up to it was a labour of love too.

The studio roof is 'green' too, with its own pond, marshy area and of course 2 gnomes.


Often I overlook the joy of owning such a space as it is all too easy to be busy outside of it. But since sharing it with others, teaching in it, the art of mono-printing, for instance I am really able to see its worth. It is full of supplies, inspiration and now a comfy chair, cushions and when I go down it also contains a small lap dog, cup of tea and space to breathe, hope, dream and create!

Curvy interior walls holding creative space.

Pewter elm tree form from cuttle-fish cast.


So, book yourself onto one of my courses advertised or just come and play. I aim to expand the teaching that I do soon. I have facilities in there to create cuttlefish casts and produce pewter treasures, do various printing techniques, from wood cut to lino cut, learn how to paint from the imagination, using mindfulness and walking as a meditation. The list goes on, so just let me know which creative playtime you would like or what you yearn to learn.

The light and airy side of the studio.

I, myself shall endeavour to get down to the studio most days now the weather is warming up, I shall no longer put off the urge to create and do another thing instead. These distractions will always exist and it is only with my own daily discipline and determined practice that I will create new work and enjoy being in the space with others that love doing so too!

My next open studio event will be on Saturday the 16th of June. It will show the new progression on from my current art project 'Hearth and Home'.
The exhibition is open to all from 11-5pm in my straw-bale studio.
The studio has a Facebook page of its own, to look at its 'life story', look up www.facebook.com/Green-Build-Tankerton
10% of all sales of this 'Hearth and Home' artwork will go to our local homeless charity in Canterbury, 'Porchlight'.

All open and ready for another studio exhibition.

I love to teach others and facilitate space for them to create, so I run art and design workshops throughout the year. These can be either 1:1 or for a small group and I charge from £15 per hour. The next ones for the exciting and accessible art of Gelli-printing are on most Wednesdays and Fridays throughout April, May and June. They run 11-2pm and cost £40 pp including all materials and refreshments.

My own personal art page can be found at www.facebook.com/RoseClarityArtist I can be contacted on 07432679164 or clare@people-to-place.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment