Friday 15 September 2017

Time- collecting and connecting





There are many reasons why we don't do what we want more often, but my consistent one is that there will always be more time, 'I must just do this first, so that then I can do X, (what I really would prefer to do) another time.' I even plan to 'reward' myself, so that I can get these 'more important' things done, with self made encouragement.

A collection of beach finds, all ready for inspiration.


My house and workplace has clues to what I'd prefer to be doing, there are collections of objects to print with, draw, paint or just inspire. There are books I want to read, shelves of them in fact. I seem to collect piles of objects around me to give clues and indicate what else I could be doing. This could be seen as the unconscious becoming conscious and taking on a physical form. Just being there and shouting out to be recognised and acted upon!

Detail of dresser, filled with inspirational forms, patterns and colours. 


I rearranged a few rooms last weekend and I surprised myself by the quantity of books that I am looking forward to reading, that is...when I have the time. The realisation that only I can give myself this time is a wake up call. We all have the same amount but time can be wasted, I know that Facebook is my main time-waster and reading and re-reading the news, I know that The Guardian live updates become scarily compulsive when a big news story is on.

I do understand that we are fascinated by others stories and the news and Facebook feed me well and would continue to do so and even choke me on my own gluttony for this should I not have any will power to turn it off/put the Ipad down.

Sketchbook in studio, a reflective journal of my collections and connections.


But, my choice of career, that of an artist and designer means that it is my job to literally look beyond the stories that are fed to me and create my own. Making work opens up an experiential process which feeds my soul. Taking materials and giving myself the time to create original pieces of art is a wonderful way to 'fill' time. But I find myself not doing it enough. If I treat it seriously and timetable it into my week, then it happens, but there are often just too many other things that take up my time. So, it is with this realisation in mind that I recognise I need to prioritize and edit what to expect of myself, in the time given.

My first woodcut, ready for printing.


Going back to the first paragraph in this blog- 'There are many reasons why we don't do what we want more often, but my consistent one is that there will always be more time'. Well that's not always true either. A friend passed away earlier this week., so that long delayed meet up and cup of coffee that we promised ourselves last November didn't happen and now will never happen.

Life is precious, time is limited. We all owe it to ourselves to use it wisely.

Butterfly on Clover at Victory Wood, Late summer.


I will be opening the doors of my beautiful straw bale studio once again this year to exhibit my own and Alison Lees work as part of the Canterbury Festival, the theme is still 'The Spirit of Place' as it is an ongoing art project based in Kent.
You can keep up to date with our explorations and discoveries by looking at www.facebook.com/EastKentSpiritOfPlace

Open times are 11-5 daily on the weekends from 14-29th of October. We can be found at house number 25 on the Whitstable trail. Please see the webpage www.ekoh.org.uk for more information.

 I can be contacted on 07432679164 or clare@people-to-place.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment