Friday 27 April 2018

Recognising the spirit of place.



I believe that part and parcel of making artwork is the need to regularly be inspired. To find this, I walk, often with other artists and it goes a long way to fulfil this need. Walking in nature, throughout the year provides me with plenty of opportunities to observe the larger seasonal changes and recognise the smaller more intricate details that may be overlooked by others.

Walking upon a path covered in white petals.


Seeing the footpath coated with white blackthorn blossom petals, looking like a wedding path and remembering the same path crunching underfoot last autumn as we stepped onto a thick carpet of acorns makes me happy! I see connections, recognise the changes and their regularity gives me peace, hope and inspiration.

Making prints from found objects on a recent walk.



I have been making and teaching 'Gelli-print' mono-printing for over a year now and I find walking and picking up small reminders of that walk, the time and the place can be used directly in subsequent printing sessions. The prints can then be looked back on with affection and become a direct link to another, past experience.

Earlier spring walk in Adisham, along a holloway.


I am obviously one of many artists who obtain inspiration through walking outdoors and connecting to the place. Last Monday evening I went to a poetry reading and performance by an artist who back in 2011 had a 6 week residency in a beach hut on Tankerton Slopes, Whitstable, Kent. As a long term resident of the area and a fellow beach hut owner, I was fascinated to hear her take on the area and see if and how she had been 'affected' by the spirit of place.

Detail of moss upon a marker stone in the wood.


We had unfortunately missed her performance the previous week in Whitstable, so we travelled down to Deal to the Astor Theatre especially to see her. She performed her poetry dressed in an iridescent gossamer gown, which looked like the deep changing sea that she had watched during her residency. The poetry was totally evocative of the place. She had captured the unique essence of this wonderful limbinal space.

A couple of books by Nancy Charley inspired by her Tankerton residency,


As I sat listening I thought she notices everything, from recognising both the resident crows and visiting tourists, their colours, behaviour, their noises...and the change of light on the sea, the bounty washed up on the beach, the promenaders, the dog walkers, the skein of geese, the migration of swallows..all that and more was acknowledged. The performance was entitled 'The Water Watcher', I enjoyed her work immensely. It was well observed, articulate and inspiring. Wonderful!

The Water Watchers Blessing by Nancy Charley.


My next open studio event will be on Saturday the 16th of June. It will show the new progression on from my current art project 'Hearth and Home'.
The exhibition is open to all from 11-5pm in my straw-bale studio.
The studio has a Facebook page of its own, to look at its 'life story', look up www.facebook.com/Green-Build-Tankerton
10% of all sales of this 'Hearth and Home' artwork will go to our local homeless charity in Canterbury, 'Porchlight'.

I am always inspired by the sunset. Truly wonderful.


I love to teach others and facilitate space for them to create, so I run art and design workshops throughout the year. These can be either 1:1 or for a small group and I charge from £15 per hour.
The next ones for the exciting and accessible art of Gelli-printing are on most Wednesdays and Fridays. throughout May and June. They run 11-2pm and cost £40 pp including all materials and refreshments.

My own personal art page can be found at www.facebook.com/RoseClarityArtist I can be contacted on 07432679164 or clare@people-to-place.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment